Monday, September 1, 2008

September Begins...


It's September 1. The preverbial end of summer. We've had a good summer. I was able to take several days off here and there to just relax, we went to Duluth for our anniversary and discovered a new getaway spot, we were able to go to South Dakota to visit Kristin's family twice, Robyn and Dejan came for a visit, and we spent a very relaxing weekend at Wilderness Way (which we plan to repeat in October). While this summer was a little less activity-ridden than last year (think wedding), it was a good one and I'm sad to see it end so fast.

School starts this week for Kristin as well as for me. That means a lot of changes in our schedules as well as nerves and excitement for what is to come.

I'm taking three classes this trimester (vs. the two I have taken in the past) as well as doing an internship. I thought that I would feel more settled and more excited once I started my actual social work classes. I am excited, but I'm finding that I wish I could just fast forward and have it done.

I have three gen ed classes left - Philosophy, Phys Ed, and Global Search for Justice (a course required for everyone graduating from St. Kate's). This semester I'll be getting philosophy out of the way on Wednesday nights. Friday nights are reserved for my field class. Saturday afternoons will be Human Behavior and the Social Environment. Fascinating.

I'm not really looking forward to philosophy. It seems like a snoozer class. Hopefully it won't be too intense. The Field class should be okay - not too much work. It will basically be talking about the internship I am doing which won't be decided until the end of September or beginning of October. I'm a little nervous about that - hoping that I get something interesting that will teach me whatever it is I need to know. The Human Behavior class doesn't seem too crazy, either...but sometimes the syllabii are misleading, so we'll see.

It's definitely going to be crazy for me over the coming months. Here's to hoping that I survive without alienating everyone around me (in other words I'll try not to be too cranky)!

As I said earlier, Kristin also starts school this week. She gets a whole new group of 3rd graders. I went to her classroom with her on Friday. Once again she's done an awesome job of fitting a million things into one room and making it look cute and inviting for the kids! It sounds like she'll have another interesting group of kids this year which makes for good dinner conversation. She will also be starting at Concordia next week working towards her Masters in Differentiated Instruction. She will have class on Thursday nights, so we may not see much of each other this fall...but it will all be worth it in the end...right?

I've been busy this holiday weekend with homework (the joy of attending weekend classes - there are always assignments due the first day of class) and being sick. Kristin and I have both been sick with some sort of stomach flu. I told her it wouldn't be the beginning of the schoolyear without us catching some sort of illness. Hopefully we're both on our way to recovery.

So. Goodbye summer, thanks for the memories. Welcome fall - let's do it up right.

1 comment:

Schmiddy said...

I hope you feel better soon and you can do it re: school, even if it's awful for a bit!