Sunday, September 28, 2008

Class Update

Okay, so school's been in session for almost a month. I figured it was time for a little update.

Philosophy - I think the jury is still out on whether I like this class or not.  I usually don't understand the readings which make it a little tough to enjoy doing, but once I get to class I find the discussions fascinating.  I find myself questioning things I never thought to question and actually had the teacher suggest "supplemental reading" for me because of the questions I was asking.  Obviously I need to shut up.  :)


Field - For those of you who don't know yet, I got my placement!  I will be doing my internship on Thursdays at Community of Peace Academy in Saint Paul.  I was really excited to finally get word that it would work out because it's exactly where I wanted to go.  I'm eager to get started (don't start until the middle of October) but also nervous about the whole idea which is normal, I guess.  Unfortunately, I still have to go to two interviews at the school and pretend that I'm interested in getting internships at other places.  The interviews are on Tuesday.  I'm not really looking forward to going, but what do you do?...  The class itself is fine - minimal homework, great teacher, only 2 hours every other week.  

Human Behavior - I think I was most excited about this class and, unfortunately, it's turned out to be the most boring of the three.  It's also the most labor intensive.  I did just finish an 8-page (single spaced!) paper about my hometown which was boring to write, but it was a large chunk of the grade, so I'm happy to have it done with.  Now I just need to worry about a presentation on the elderly I need to prepare and about another 10ish page paper on adolescents.  Should be great.  The teacher is nice - and definitely has some great stories to share with us - I just wish we could spend the class listening and discussing his case studies and not reading and presenting stuff on this boring book we have.   Oh well.


So overall the semester is going really well!  I can't believe how fast the semester is going, which is a nice change from the two semesters I attended last year (I think Spanish had a lot to do with how slow-moving they were!).  I am already looking forward to registering for next semester even if one of those classes will be a research class (can you say boring with a ton of work?!?).  Oh well.  I like school much more now that I'm actually taking classes that focus on social work and am excited to continue the journey.

No comments: