Friday, August 14, 2009

Ellie - Day 3



Ellie had lots of time to get settled into her new home today! The day started with me taking her out to do her business after breakfast. She refused. I tried walking her. I tried ignoring her. I tried begging her. Nothing worked. After each failed attempt we would come back inside, she would play around for a bit, and then she would start sniffing around (which we have discovered means she needs to go).


We would go back outside and she would just sit there and stare at me. After doing this about ten times I was super frustrated (did I mention this whole thing started at 6:30 on my day off?!?). I knew if I put her back in her crate she would poop all over in it, so we kept trying. At one point she went running into the spare room and squatted on the rug. Seriously? We had been outside a million times and she chooses to wait and do it on the rug? ARGH. I was determined that she would not poop on the floor, and eventually she did go outside. I've never been so happy to see a pile of poop before. She continues to do well with accidents in the house. The one act of defiance this morning when she peed on the rug was the only "accident" outside of the crate today, so yay Ellie!


She is definitely finding her independence. She is taking an interest in the cats and finally seems to notice when we praise her (which will go a long way to helping with the house training!). We have noticed that she doesn't really know how to play and doesn't really get what humans are all about, so we're working on that. She had a second play date with Kat, Jehn's dog, and while they weren't sure about each other (14-year-old Kat wasn't sure what to do with a 3-month-old puppy and Ellie wasn't sure what to do with such a distinguished old lady like Kat) they didn't kill each other, so it was all good.


We got her a new collar and tag yesterday. She has learned to wear a collar quickly and is learning how to walk on a leash as well. She also learned what "sit" is today and we're working on "shake." She is a super smart dog. I'm so proud. :)

2 comments:

Robyn said...

She is SO CUTE! Love the collar.

Elise said...

ohh myy goodness. i was looking on google for something and a picture of your puppy came up and i swear she looks just like my dog lily!! its really unbelievable. i'm gonna send you with some links to pictures so you can see how alike they look!

this was lily as a puppy =]
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m243/EliseCaitlin/l_3fb6d1a612d047dd9d773bcef0a2d6b3.jpg

this is more recent
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m243/EliseCaitlin/lily-1.jpg

and this is now when her hair is pretty long haha. http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m243/EliseCaitlin/l_866ccac6df5648f7b333416d9eae7e2e.jpg

i just thought i would share with you how alike they look! where did you get her? i dont have an account on here, but my email is elisegiordano@ufl.edu.

yay for cute doggies! =]