Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Big Mess

So tonight I made brownies. While they were cooling on the stove, we decided to take advantage of the cold weather and demonstrate the coolness of throwing boiling water over the deck. Jehn was over and had never seen how completely awesome it is. So Kristin turned on a burner to boil some water. After a couple minutes she realized she had turned on the burner that was under the cooling brownies.

She picked up the pan of brownies and brought it into the living room to show us that they were now smoking. She took it back into the kitchen and just before she set it down the entire glass dish EXPLODED. She didn't drop it. It literally exploded. There were glass and brownie guts everywhere. The radius of glass chunks and shards was several feet in all directions (glass in the living room, dining room, sink, garbage, etc).

We all realized there was a smoldering pile of glass and brownie guts right where it happened...on the linoleum. I completely freaked out because I knew under the smoldering, stinking, smoking mess there would be floor damage. I dumped some water on it to put out the smoldering fire and then we went to work getting it cleaned up. Sure enough, under the smoking pile was burned/melted linoleum. After we swept several times and cleaned up the best we could I got down and hand scrubbed the whole kitchen (thank God it's a small area). While I was scrubbing away Kristin dumped the cat food and water and vacuumed the floor.

Now it's all cleaned up, but the floor looks awful! Can we say goodbye security deposit?!? Argh. And it was my very favorite baking dish. Double Argh.

But at least the exploding dish didn't go into Kristin's eyes or anything. She ended up with a small cut on her hand. I ended up with a cut on my foot and a few on my fingers, but all the wounds are pretty much superficial and came during the cleanup not the actual explosion.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't let Kristin boil water.
2. Don't leave cooling brownies unattended.
3. Linoleum burns and melts.
4. If you are having a boring, uneventful night just wait - those are the times the most exciting things happen.

PHOTOS (I don't think these do justice to the damage...and we didn't think to take pictures before the mess was cleaned up...but these are of the newly scrubbed floor...)





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a crazy mess. Good, lucky thing no one was really hurt.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit; the juxtaposition of this hot mess with the "Our Father" blog entry beneath it made me smirk.

I'm glad nobody got hurt! That linoleum is easy and cheap to repair. (At least compared to human skin.)

justmecassi said...

I'm glad you guys weren't hurt! The other day I was making oatmeal. Since my kitchen is the size of a closet, I had the cardboard oatmeal container on a burner while I was boiling water on another. Well, I also turned the wrong burner on and my oatmeal container started on fire! I'm lucky I caught it early. At least I didn't have any exploding glass!

Schmiddy said...

I'm glad everyone is okay! I wonder if you could sue pyrex... ;)

Anonymous said...

This is insane!!!!!!!!! I am glad no one got hurt. If Heather did that, I would have taken the cats and gotten a hotel room.

Samantha Hensch said...

bummer!