Sunday, December 14, 2008

Popcorn Trains

So when I was little we would make these things called popcorn trains. I don't remember making them every year, but I know whenever we did it was good times all around - popping the popcorn, forming the trains, getting the frosting ready, and, the best part, getting the candy opened and poured into bowls.  Within minutes all of us would be hunched over our box car or train, trying to get it to look just right.  There was never a shortage of candy chomping, laughter, or "oh crap!" going around.  

Making popcorn trains is one of my favorite holiday memories, so every Christmas I think about it and consider making one.  I've never done it because I never knew what we'd do with it, but this year I told Kristin she should make them with her 3rd graders. She agreed, but only if I would come in and run a "station" (no pun intended) at her holiday party on Friday. They have 4 stations where 6 kids come for 20 minutes and do an activity. So my station will be making the engine car of a popcorn train. 

I pulled out the recipe a few weeks ago and have been mulling over how this is going to work. This weekend I went out and bought a bunch of stuff to try - the key is going to be ease since there will only be 1 of me and 24 of them (in groups of 6, but still!).

So this morning I made a 3-car train. I had limited candy resources (because I only wanted to use what I was going to have there for the kids to use) and tested out a new frosting (in a can instead of the homemade stuff). I'm still not sure if the canned frosting is going to work. I really need a frosting that is going to set up and get hard in a short amount of time (like before the kids have to take them and run out to their buses)...and I'm not thinking the canned frosting is going to work for that. If it doesn't I'll be going to a candy store to buy a ton of decorating bags and tips and spending all Friday morning making frosting (we're going to be making a ton of train cars Thursday night if anyone is interested in helping :)).

Anyway, the final product is below. It's not done very well (I totally blame the canned frosting), but what can I say - I did the best I could with what I had this morning :)




2 comments:

Schmiddy said...

Super cute! Good luck with the kids!

Anonymous said...

I love your popcorn train.