Sunday, December 7, 2008

Haul Out the Holly

I like to try to get the Christmas decorations up shortly after Thanksgiving. I've been a little slow this year, but today I finally got to it and started setting things up. Kristin cleaned out the tree corner (there were stacks of books she needs to take to school) and even helped unpack a few nativities.

A short explanation of the nativities - once when I was like 12 I saw a news story about a woman who had like 300 nativity sets. I decided I wanted to have more than her and so the collection started. Seems like every year I get another one. I'm not such a huge collector anymore (realized they take a lot of time to set up, a lot of time to take down, and a ton of room to store), but I still get a set from people occasionally when they see a great one or travel to some far off land and score me a really cool one.

I'm not sure how many I have anymore - most of them are still stored at my parents' house in Utah, but I had a few (5) here that I brought when I moved and my mom knew someone who was coming out this fall and sent an additional 12 in their U-haul. So now we have 17 nativities set up in our living room. Kristin says it's her own personal hell, but I think it's festive.


The tree (Bianca) is patiently waiting to be unpacked and decorated and then I need to get the mess of boxes and bins and other stuff packed away so that in 3 weeks I can get it all out again to pack up everything for another 11 months. I love the holidays.


And now some pictures for your enjoyment (or so you can sympathize with Kristin):


When I first unpacked this one Mary was missing. It came with two guys who looked similar and I wasn't sure which was Joseph and which was the shepard...so we decided this could be our gay-friendly nativity. I did find Mary later...but I kind of like this one just the way it is.



The one on the left is from Mexico, the one in the middle is a candle holder, and the one on the right is one I received from my sister, Cassi (and also one of my favorites!).




I don't remember where this one came from, but it's snowmen.


The one on the left is from a friend, Lisa. She got it for me in Israel (thanks, Lisa!). The one on the right plays Silent Night and is indeed the one that can be heard in the infamous "Danette Dancing" video which is probably still floating around out there somewhere.


I received this one from my parents - it's from The Music Box Company.


The top set is a bunch of bears. Under that is a tea set - the sheep are the cups, Mary is the tea pot, Joseph is the cream, and the camel is the sugar. Weird, I know.


The top set was also given to me by my sister. It's another favorite of mine and Kristin's very favorite. It's called "S'mores Nativity." You can't see it very well, but the people are made of "marshmallows" sitting on "chocolate" and a "graham cracker." Super cute although everyone seems to think it's sacrilege. Under that is another tea set. I think was obsessed with those when I was 15.



On the top left is a Willow Tree set. Another favorite, and a gift from my parents. On the right is a white ceramic set I got as a hand-me-down from my grandma. On the bottom left is a small Precious Moments globe. In the middle is a cute set I got from my friend, Michelle, and on the left is a patchwork set I think I got from my parents (?).
PS - Going to take better pictures of these later...something to look forward to, right? :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful. You did a fabulous job!

Schmiddy said...

Looks great so far! Yay holiday spirit! Hopefully the cats won't steal a bunch of the figurines...I can only imagine the combination of characters that could result if that happened. Marshmallow figures with the gay couple, etc. Good stuff!

Samantha Hensch said...

Holy Hannah, that's a lot of nativity. I don't think we even have one! (Although now that I say that, I kind of want one!)

They are cute.

justmecassi said...

I forgot about the S'mores one...I really do rock, don't I? :) There's a store here called 10,000 villages and they have nativities (and other things) from all over the world and I think of you every time I go in there.

justmecassi said...

I forgot about the S'mores nativity! I couldn't stop laughing when I first saw it in the store. There's a store here called 10,000 villages that carries stuff from villages all over the world. They have some really cool nativities that were hand made and they always make me think of you.