Monday, November 3, 2008

Wilderness Way Take 2

Recently Kristin and I celebrated our 5th anniversary by heading back to our favorite camping/cabin spot – Wilderness Way.  It didn’t actually start as an anniversary celebration trip, it was just a ‘one last trip before the snow falls’ with Michele, Heather, and Jehn.  So, we headed to Wisconsin the weekend of MEA (which also happened to be our anniversary weekend) for some fall relaxation.

Kristin, Jehn, and I left Friday around noon.  The drive took much longer than usual as we seemed to stop in every town  and at every store for something.  I was happy when we finally arrived.  This time we got a bigger cabin closer to the lake, and I loved it!  It was so beautiful and the cabin was a little nicer than the last one we were in.  We settled in, unpacked our $130 worth of groceries (stopped at a VERY overpriced grocery store along the way) and enjoyed the scenery.  We started a fire that evening and were excited when Michele and Heather finally arrived.

The next day was fairly low key.  We were going to go to a meat raffle at the Golden Chipmunk, but missed it after some misunderstandings.  Oh well.  There’s always next time, right?  :)  We basically just relaxed all day and then headed over to the Golden Chipmunk for dinner. 

We ended the night by joining some other lesbians at the fire pit – Michele especially seemed excited to meet and converse with them.  The weather was beautiful, so Kristin and I decided to go for a walk.  We went down by the lake, and I was struck by the number of stars in the sky!  I remember sleeping outside when I was little and trying to count the stars.  My parents live out in the middle of nowhere, so I could always see millions of stars at night.  I had kind of forgotten what that was like – but there they were – all still there!

We had lots of fun adventures with animals there as well – a flying squirrel (yes, they do exist), chipmunks (unfortunately ours didn’t sing, Alvin….Alvin….ALVIN!), spiders, loons, and more.

The next morning Michele cooked us all a great breakfast and we packed to leave.  Last time we stayed for one night and I found myself wishing we could have stayed longer.  This trip we stayed for 2 nights and once again I was wishing we could stay for another night or two.  It is so peaceful there!!

I’m thinking of ringing in my 30th year there in December.  Not sure how it would be if it’s really cold and possibly snowy, but I really can’t think of any place I’d rather spend my birthday!

2 comments:

Schmiddy said...

I'm glad you found a place you like so much and that brings you peace.

Anonymous said...

If you celebrate #30 there, count me in!