Friday, October 3, 2008

VP Debate

I have never watched a debate before this year.  Call me stupid, call me ignorant, call me whatever you want to call me, but the whole thing just never seemed all that important to me.  I hadn’t even ever voted before the last presidential election.  I didn’t think my vote really counted for anything (not sure that it does now either, but that’s a discussion for another day), and none of the candidates ever got me really excited. 

This year has obviously been different.  I have been a strong Obama supporter since long before he announced his candidacy.  I find myself watching the polls and the debates not to help make my decision but to cheer on my team and to hear more about the issues that are discussed – I want to see how each side handles issues that are important to me (like the economy, gay rights, and the war in Iraq – uh, at what point did I get so old that issues actually matter to me?!?).  At this point there is nothing that could make me vote for McCain, but I actually want to know about and understand what’s going on.

I was nervous about Sarah Palin and how she might do last night.  There had been so much talk running up to the debate about how awful she was that expectations were very low.  I worried that perhaps she had played down her other interviews in order to appear stellar at the debate.  I worried that she would come across as a normal American that everyone would fall in love with and everything would be downhill from here.  I was worried Biden would come across too strongly or be judged too harshly against her.

As it was, I had little to worry about.  The debate was interesting.  Sarah did do better than most expected her to, but I was pleased to find my worries about her playing herself down were unfounded.  I also felt like she was very demeaning to the office of VP – talking like a down-home girl didn’t get her anywhere with me, sending a shout out to a 3rd grade class, while cute, isn’t what I’m looking for in someone in that position.  I was annoyed by the fact that she blatantly said she wouldn’t answer some questions – that she would rather just talk straight with the American people.  Well, last time I checked that’s what campaigning is for.  Debates are to discuss the issues brought up by the moderator.  I think it was disrespectful to the moderator as well as to the public to ignore some of the questions and continue to pound on the few things she knows about.

Biden didn’t do perfectly, either.  I thought at times he came across as too political, but for the most part I felt like I was listening to a father figure explain things and redirect things in a calm and reassuring manner.  He did answer the gay marriage question a little too quickly for my tastes, though.  I mean, I get that they can’t come out and say they completely support gay marriage.  I understand their position and have understood Obama’s position from the beginning.  I’m okay with that, but Biden could have at least pretended to think about it for a split second before answering :)

Overall I liked the debate and am glad I watched it.  If you didn’t see it, I would urge you to watch  it via YouTube or other outlet.  And if you aren’t register to vote, get registered.  It’s too important not to (even if you’re planning to vote for McCain :)).

1 comment:

Schmiddy said...

Great entry - it's awesome to see you so involved and fired up! Keep it up! :)