Sunday, July 20, 2008

Nothing new...

Nothing much new to report, but I've been receiving pokes from Kristin and harassing anonymous phone calls urging me to post something. Anything. So here I am.

I've been staying busy even with school out for the summer. I had all sorts of plans with all of the extra time I would discover once I didn't need to study and go to class. Unfortunately, the extra time has seemed to just disappear. I'm not sure where it has gone, though.

I started taking a Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction course at University of Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. It's based on Jon Kabat-Zin's research about the benefits of meditation. I had read his book, Full Catastrophe Living, a couple of times and finally decided to just go ahead and take the class. So far I haven't loved it, but I'm going to give it the full 8 weeks before I make a judgement. I can see the benefits, I think it's just random issues of my own that are making it difficult to enjoy the class itself. Anyway, I'll post more about what the class is like and what I think about it after week 4 and again after week 8.


Kristin and Jehn had a yard sale this past weekend. I don't really get yard sales. I'm a huge throw it away person. If I don't need it I toss it or donate it. Spending the time to sort it, price it, and then sit in the hot sun and wait for people to come sift through it and try to bargain down from 25 cents just isn't my gig. They both seemed to love it, though, and that's all that matters, right? (Proof is in the smiling picture of Jehn below)


Part of my plan for my extra time this summer was to do more "fun" reading. I looked forward to whittling my Goodreads list down. I have been busily reading...and what kinds of books have I been reading? Pretty much nothing that was on my list. For some reason I'm addicted to therapy, social work type books. Books like The Mummy at the Dining Room Table: Eminent Therapists Reveal Their Most Unusual Cases; Schopenhauer's Porcupines: Intimecy and Its Dilemma; Shrink Dreams: The Secret Longings, Fantasies, and Prejudices of Therapists and How They Affect Their Patients; The Boy Who Was Raised a Dog: And Other Stories from a Child Psychiatrists Notebook; and Crazy all the time: On the Psych Ward of Bellevue Hospital...just to name a few. Crazy, I know. But I'm learning a lot and I'm getting excited to get back to school in September.

So, that's my 'nothing new' update. Hopefully I'll have something new, fun, and exciting to share soon :)

No comments: