Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Our House

We've been in the house for a week now, and I'm discovering cool things (and a few not cool things) about it every day.

Some favorite things:
- Mail slot - it makes getting mail exciting :)
- Laundry chute
- Blinds - a pleasant surprise since I thought I hated them before we moved in
- Tree in the front yard
- Street sign - I don't know why I like this...it's not like it's OUR street sign...but I love it
- Basement - not that I would just go hang out down there, but I'm so glad we have a non-scary basement
- Mysterious writing on the wall in the secret bomb/tornado shelter downstairs. Seems some girls had some fun down there in the 40s.
- The overall feeling of the house - it reminds me of my grandparents house (which is full of good memories), and just feels homey...which is a good thing!

Some not so favorite things:
- The light (or lack thereof) in the master bedroom - we need to change some bulbs but it looks like such a hard job neither of us has decided we have the energy to deal with it as of yet
- Tiny bathroom
- Tiny Closets - we realized this before we moved in, but once you start to put clothes in them you realize just how small they are!
- Empty wall in the bathroom - still not thrilled the previous owners took the mirror off the wall, but what do you do?

Undecided things:
- Hardwood floors - I've never had hardwood floors before...and while I think maybe I'll learn to like them for now they just seem cold and hard
- Rose bush - The previous owners clipped all the roses before they left, so it's a little sad looking right now
- Garden in the backyard - I hate it right now, but maybe after I spend some time out there cleaning it up I will have a change of heart

Okay, that's all I can think of off the top of my head...I have a lot of thoughts about the home buying experience...hopefully I'll have the time in the next week or two to write them all down and share them!

No comments: