Tuesday, February 26, 2008

School Update

School. It sucks. Just kidding. It’s not that bad. I am having a hard time staying motivated and I think next semester will be worse. I met with my advisor a couple of weeks ago, and we mapped everything out. If I take 3 classes each semester I’ll be done with classes in April 2010 and graduate the end of May 2010. Yay! But before I get to that point I have to pull a C out of Spanish.

So far I’ve done really well in Spanish. Better than I thought I would. The teacher has been very kind – very lenient. I’m getting an A so far, so I’m hoping I can keep that up. I’m not feeling very confident, and I don’t feel like I’m understanding anything, so I have hired a tutor. I meet with him for the first time on Saturday. I don’t know exactly what I need help with, but I’m hoping he can help clarify that for me.

My other class, The Reflective Woman, is going fairly well. I actually like the discussion that the class produces and LOVE the book we have to read (Also call The Reflective Woman). I just finished an interview paper (interviewed my brother-in-law - see previous post), and I am now working on a “Structured Controversy” paper. My group (well, one person in my group) decided to do it on violence on television (BORING). The other two group members snatched up the position that it causes violence in teens/kids which left me with having to prove that it doesn’t cause violence in teens/kids for my paper. It didn’t seem too difficult until I started looking for resources. Ugh. It seems every reputable organization out there has something to say about how horrible violence on television is. Should make for an interesting paper.
Anyway, overall I’m loving school. I love, love, love St. Kate’s. I never really thought about how going to an all-female school would affect me…didn’t think it would…and actually thought I would hate it because I’m not that big on being bff’s with a bunch of girly girls. But it really has been a great experience so far, and I find that I am way more comfortable and able to express my opinions in all-female classes (no offense to all of you men out there). So thank you to those of you who urged me to go back to school…and a special thank you to those who urged me to try out St. Kate’s…

1 comment:

Schmiddy said...

Yay, so glad you like St. Kates!